Saturday, June 30, 2012

Family Vacation to Ruidoso, NM - Part 1


This past week we headed to Ruidoso, NM for a week with all my family. My sister-in-law, Melody's parents have a place there and Greg & Melody invited us to come out for the week.  I had never been to that part of New Mexico so I was excited to go to the mountains and be with my family.  I was also excited that it would be Mallory's first trip out of state and her first vacation. Be prepared for lots and lots of pictures in these vacation posts :) And I'm pretty sure my sister-in-law, Kate, will post pictures too so head here to see more!

We headed out early Sunday morning. Thankfully my Mom rode with us to help take care of Mallory on the almost 12 hr road trip. It's less if you go straight through but we knew we would have to make stops to let Mallory (and us) stretch our legs.



Heading out bright & early. Brian's first question as we pulled out of the driveway "Can we stop for Chiloso?"


Nana and Mallory ready for the trip


Our first stop was outside Abilene for the little girl to walk around. And she walked, everywhere.

We went through Sweetwater to Post, TX to Roswell, NM to Ruidoso. Lots of windmills and nothing on that road.


I didn't mind driving and letting everyone sleep as long as I could sing my songs


Mallory did so great on the ride! She slept good, played good and didn't have to bring out Toy Story 2 until we were almost to Ruidoso.


I wanted a family photo when we entered New Mexico but this is all the signage they had. I guess they aren't as proud of their state as Texas is because on the other side, there is a Welcome to Texas sign and a monument.


At 4:30 pm Mountain Time, we got to our house for the week.



Mallory and I after our long drive in our bed for the week


We took turns cooking each night and the last night we went out for dinner. The first night, my Mom made chicken spaghetti and Kate made the salad. It was so good!


The front porch was a great place to be - especially in the cool mornings.


Mallory taking it all in


On the back porch, you could see all the deer that would walk up to eat.

The 4 granddaughters spent a lot of time playing inside with each other. It was so fun seeing them all together.


Eva is soooooo very close to crawling. We tried to help her along and were ready for her to go but I think she just wants to be able to do it first at home :)

After a good dinner, a game of Russian Rummy (which Brian won), we all hit the hay. Mallory slept well in the pack-in-play. She slept 11 hours the first night - all that driving had her exhausted!

Monday morning, we got up and headed to the Zoo. Yes, the zoo. If you know me, you know I'm not a fan of animals. Not that I don't like them, I just don't like to be around them. That's just me. But, I was looking forward to being with my family and enjoying the time with them, so off to the Zoo we went.


I told them I had to take this picture so there was proof that I went - ha!


Mallory loved seeing all the animals


Kayden & Kiersi - such beautiful girls. They loved going to the zoo too!


Some of the animals at the zoo. It was a good zoo and we had fun looking at all the animals.


We packed a picnic lunch to eat at the Zoo.


Kayden was so sweet with Mallory wanted to hold her hand while looking at the animals

After the Zoo, we headed to get some frozen custard!


It was hot that day and custard helped cool us down


Brian and his coke float


She loves some custard!


Me, Kate, Mallory & Eva

After our treat, we headed up higher into the mountains.


It was beautiful day for a trip up the mountain.


Dad, Ryan, Greg & Brian


Greg, Kayden & Kiersi


Brian and I (Mallory was asleep in the car)


Mom & Dad


Greg, Melody, Kiersi & Kayden



We stopped at this store on the mountain where I got a ornament for our Christmas tree.


Going down the mountain, we met some cows close to the road.


We dressed Eva & Mallory in the same dress so we had to get some pics. We were probably singing "If You're Happy and You Know it, Clap your Hands" since they are both smiling and their hands are out :)


Sweet cousins.

Stay tuned for more...

2 comments:

Lyndsey said...

I love all the pictures! Especially the ones of Mallory and Eva in their matching outfits! She has so many girls to play with!

Josh and Shan said...

I love the NM sign! And the picture where Mallory kicked off one flip flop is hilarious!